- 'Waiting for Godot': regime change without democratization in the Middle East
International political science review, Vol. 25, No. 4, pp.
371-392, Oct, 2004.
- Islamism, revolution, and civil society
Perspectives on politics, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 257-272, Jun, 2003.
- Democracy with adjectives: conceptual innovation in comparative research
World Polit, Vol. 49, No. 3, pp. 430-452, Apr, 1997.
- Continuing Military Power in Three Countries:
Nacla Report on the Americas, Vol. XXXII, No. 3, pp. 20-21,
- Police reform and the peace process in Three Countries:
Guatemala: the fifth promotion of the national civilian police
Bulletin of Latin American research, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 431-453,
- Colombia's democratic security agenda: public order in the security tripod
Secur.Dialogue, Vol. 34, No. 4, pp. 391-410, Dec, 2003.
- Constructing authority alternatives on the periphery: vignettes from Colombia
International political science review, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp.
37-54, Jan, 2005.
- The evolution of the FARC: a guerrilla group's long history
- Algeria - the clash between Islam, democracy, and the military
Current history, Vol. 92, No. 570, pp. 37. Jan, 1993.
- Why the rule of law matters
Journal of democracy, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 32-46, Oct, 2004.
- Illusions about consolidation
Journal of democracy, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 34-51, Apr, 1996.
- Insurgent Strategies in the Post-Cold War: The Case of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia
Studies in Conflict & Terrorism, vol. 25, no. 2, p. 127, March/April,
- Colombia's resilient democracy
Current history, Vol. 103, No. 670, pp. 68-73. Feb, 2004.
- The Political Economy of Violence: The War-System in Colombia
Journal of Interamerican Studies and World Affairs, Vol. 39,
No. 2, pp. 37-81, Summer 1997.
- Political Democratization and Paramilitary Counterreform in Colombia
Politica y Sociedad, Vol. 39, No. 1, pp. 273-292. Jan-Apr, 2002.
- The Guatemalan Military since the Peace Accords: The Fate of Reform under Arzu and Portillo
Latin American Politics and Society, Vol. 47, No. 1, pp. 55-85,
- Algerian Conflict: An Exercise in State Terrorism
Journal for the Study of Peace and Conflict, pp. 1-15, 2001.
- Renegotiating 'law and order': judicial reform and citizen responses in post-war Guatemala
Democratization, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 137-160, 2003.
- The western media and the Algerian crisis
Race and class, Vol. 41, No. 3, pp. 43-58, Jan-Mar, 2000.
- Islamism in Algeria: a struggle between hope and agony
Middle East Policy, Vol. X, No. 2, pp. 62-75, 2003.
- Islamism: R.I.P
National interest, Vol. 63, pp. 97-102, 2001.
- Economic and Political Explanations of Algeria's Human Rights Violations
International Journal of Human Rights, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 399-411,